Monday, August 02, 2004

And then there were three...

So we had a bit of a scare yesterday. I was out walking Nigel & Sola and a stray Pit Bull Terrier came running around the corner to greet us. He was at my side before I could even move, doing the doggie handshake with Sola. A neighbor was there with her dog and he approached it. She gave it a push with her leg and we both yelled at it to get lost, which it promptly did. After changing my underpants I walked the dogs back home. I jumped in the truck to find out where the stray had gone.

Another neighbor was walking her dog through the village and the Pit bull was running up behind her. I thought I'd spare her the change of underwear necessitated by a surprise Pit Bull visit. I switched on my flashers and stopped the truck in the middle of the road beside her. She turned and noticed the stray, which was just starting the butt-sniff exchange with her dog. I jumped out of the truck, ran over to them and asked the stray if he would like to go for a ride. Apparently that was exactly what he was searching for. Perhaps he had been seeking out a cab, because when I opened the door he jumped in immediately. I jumped back in the truck and we headed home.

So we called the local animal control officer. And we called again. And again. Apparently he likes to keep his Sundays to himself. In the meantime I fed treats to our visitor and entertained him with a tennis ball. He thanked me with huge sloppy kisses and frequent tail wags. He pulled me around the neighborhood on the leash and collar I had put on him (he arrived nekkid).

Oddly enough, despite my fear of Pit Bull terriers he proved to be a sweetie. Except when I had him on a leash and strangers approached. Then he would growl and attempt to protect me. One of our previous dogs was a beautiful Dalmatian. She was so striking that all who saw her wanted to approach us and meet her. This was unfortunate because she was too protective of us and could not be allowed to meet strangers. It was sometimes difficult to walk her or have company over, but she was a wonderful dog and my wife was comforted to know that she was protected by her dog. Now we have that same sense of safety.

When you walk a Pit Bull it's a bit different. Cars swerve out of the way, schools lock their doors and women and children run for shelter screaming. It's quite entertaining, and makes me wonder if perhaps we should invest in a factory that can produce underpants at competitive prices. In any event, it would seem that the chap is here to stay. We have yet to select a name for him, but we are pondering suitable names, and have narrowed the list to Assault, Bleeder, Killer, Reaper and Stitches (in alphabetical order). I think Stitches is cute so perhaps it will stick.

Sola: How dare you.

Nigel: They've lost their minds. I'm sleeping on top of the refrigerator from now on. This is getting to be regod-damned-diculous.


Disclaimer: This story is true, except that you'd have to be smoking crack in order to believe that we'd keep a Pit Bull. We put that part in to give our friends and family aneurysms. After the animal control officer never showed up we promptly dropped him off at the shelter. Shortly thereafter a handful of rednecks in a beatermobile stopped our neighbor and asked if she'd seen a young Pit Bull anywhere.........

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Pitts really "do" have a bad rap. I know some VERY sweet ones. It's the people that adopt them that have the issues. I'm not a "pitt" person (that is I wouldn't get one). Their energy is a bit spastic for me. On the other hand, they can also be quite docile.

    re: being "protective" or aggressive on leash is not actually "protection" as it seems to be from the human stand point. it's actually a fear response because they are on leash and they do not feel secure in the person's leadership to protect them (the dog). So the dog usually will step up and stand off to strangers or other dogs. I've always assumed it was the dog protecting me as well... until recently when I had to really "deal" with my "naughty" dog's behavior, learn about it and really step up as a leader. but when all is said and done, it's really about the dog being fearful of a stranger person/dog and not secure in its person's leadership so the "barking/aggression/growling" happens because the dog decides someone has to be the leader. Pack leaders always decide who they should or shouldn't fight. And that decision sould always be the human's/owner's. (not that a human would go around picking fights. then again...ha ha). If the dog doesn't understand the human as pack leader, then the dog will assume that role. by now...you prolly already know this since this is a really old post! :) (end of my boring lecture on this)

    ReplyDelete